|The Golden Man|
|Season 2, Episode 7|
|Air date||February 19, 1981|
|Written by|| Calvin Clement, Sr.|
|Directed by||Vincent McEveety|
Mark of the Saurian
"The Golden Man" is the seventh episode of the 2nd season of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
- Coming Soon
While traveling through an asteroid field, the Searcher discovers a stasis capsule with what appears to be a "gold boy" within (the alien's skin tone is the color of gold, as opposed to a boy made of gold – as confirmed by Dr. Goodfellow). Upon reviving from stasis, the alien declares his name is Velis and he desperately wishes to know where his companion, Relcos, is and that he must find him.
Soon thereafter, the Searcher is struck by an asteroid, and Asimov is trapped under a fallen piece of debris, too heavy to be moved by four crewmen, including Buck and Hawk. Velis comes to Asimov's aid by touching the debris which then becomes easy to lift by psychokinetic chemistry (the ability to change the density/molecular structure of metals).
While attempting to get to the nearby planet Iris VII, whereon Relcos is believed to have landed, the Searcher is trapped on a large asteroid, unable to free itself using its tractor beams in reverse. Velis is unable to lighten the entire Searcher; however, he declares his companion, Relcos, is larger and whose powers are stronger would be able to do so. Buck, with a bit of trepidation, takes Velis to Iris VII to find his companion.
On Iris VII, Relcos has been captured by the local population and is placed in a cage wherein the townspeople force him to change their base metal utensils into precious metals. Relcos escapes by changing the metal bars to glass.
Buck and Velis are captured and jailed soon after arriving on Iris VII, it is at this point they are informed that Iris VII is a penal colony. Velis also reveals to the authorities that he, and Relcos, can transmute metals. The authorities then bring Velis to a rocketship and force him to attempt to change its weight, but he is unable. The authorities then decide to find Relcos, while jailing Buck and Velis.
Freeing themselves, Buck and Velis meet up with Hawk, who has been informed by Dr. Goodfellow that Iris VII is a penal colony and has come to the planet posing as a Federal Official. The trio is reunited with Relcos, who has been befriended and kept safe by a local stable boy, Marcos; but is later recaptured by the authorities of the penal colony. Hawk is exposed, but he, Buck, Velis and Relcos flee and manage to escape.
Later, aboard the Searcher, Relcos lightens the starship and it is able to use its tractor beams to free itself from the asteroid; repaired the ship is able to continue its travels. Velis reveals to Buck that Relcos is not the adult he appears, nor is Velis the child he appears; in fact Velis is Relcos's father. Their species age in reverse to humans with Relcos being only 5 years old.
- Paul Carr is known to Star Trek fans as Lee Kelso from the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
- Gil Gerard as Capt. William "Buck" Rogers
- Erin Gray as Col. Wilma Deering
- Thom Christopher as Hawk
- Jay Garner as Admiral Efram Asimov
- Wilfrid Hyde-White as Dr. Goodfellow
- David Hollander as Velis
- Anthony James as Mr. Graf
- Bruce M. Fischer as Loran
- Russell Wiggins as Relcos
- Paul Carr as Lieutenant Devlin
- Felix Silla as Twiki
- Diana Chesney as Hag
- Richard Wright as Onlooker #1
- Arthur Eisner as Onlooker #2
- Roger Rose as Marcos
- Michael Masters as Jailer
- Bob Elyea as Alphie
- Jeff David as Voice of Crichton (uncredited)
- Directed by Vincent McEveety
- Written by Calvin Clements Jr. and Stephen McPherson
- Produced by Calvin Clements Jr., John Mantley, David G. Phinney and John G. Stephens
- Music by Bruce Broughton
- Cinematography by Ben Colman
- Film Editor - Neil MacDonald
- Casting - Joe Reich
- Art Director - William H. Tuntke
- Set Decorator - Frank Lombardo
- Costume Designer - Al Lehman
- Harker Wade - Unit Production Manager
Second Unit Director or Assistant DirectorEdit
- Bob Bender - First Assistant Director
- Stephen Lillis - Second Assistant Director
- Jerry Allen - Model Builder
- Ted Wilson - Carpenter (uncredited)
- James R. Alexander - Sound
- Dick Wahrman - Sound Effects Editor
- Chuck Arrigo - Special Effects Coordinator (uncredited)
- Peter Anderson - Special Photographic Effects Supervisor: Universal Hartland
- David Jones - Special Photographic Effects Supervisor: Universal Hartland
Camera and Electrical DepartmentEdit
- Kenneth Hale - First Assistant Camera
Costume and Wardrobe DepartmentEdit
- Barry Downing - Costume Supervisor: Gil Gerard
- Glen A. Larson - Composer: Theme Music
- Donald Woods - Music Editor
- Johnny Harris - Composer: Theme Music (uncredited)
- Stu Phillips - Composer: Theme Music (uncredited)
- Stephen McPherson - Executive Story Consultant
|Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - Season 2|
|Time of the Hawk I Journey to Oasis I The Guardians I Mark of the Saurian I The Golden Man I The Crystals I The Satyr I Shgoratchx! I The Hand of the Goral I Testimony of a Traitor I The Dorian Secret|